Planning the perfect proposal can be stressful. Where do you do it? What do you say? How do you know when the time is right?
Of course, all of these questions have probably already run through your head a hundred times because, well, that’s what’s going to happen until the moment arrives. One thing you can do to calm your nerves is to ensure you’ve chosen a jeweler who’s got your back from now until the Big Day (and beyond.)
Bear in mind that — just like most things in life — all jewelers are not created equal. Since you’ve probably not gone shopping for a jeweler before, here are some key questions you should ask the folks you encounter at the jewelry counter so you can be sure you not only find the right ring, but you also come home with peace-of-mind, knowing you’ve chosen a reputable company that stands behind its fine jewelry pieces. Remember, an engagement ring is an important piece of jewelry that represents an entire lifetime before you. A little due diligence up front will lead to a lifetime of happy memories for many years to come.
1. Do They Listen When I Speak?
Some jewelers feel they know what’s best for their customers from the moment they walk in the door. They already have pre-conceived notions revolving around ideal settings, styles, and color choices. This is simply bad for business. Jewelers who think they know better than you could ultimately convince you to purchase something that isn’t right for your particular situation, be it financially, stylistically, or something else.
A reputable jeweler wants to hear your story; they want to know who you and your bride are, what you do, and why you love each other. Each ring tells the story of a couple’s love, and without this information, no one can properly recommend the right ring.
Look for jewelers who:
- Show respect when you speak.
- Asks questions about your likes and dislikes.
- Is okay with being told “no”.
- Has an array of ideas you might like but is willing to whittle down the selection or change direction as they get to know you.
- Focuses on style and personalized products.
2. What Kind of Reputation Does the Jeweler Have?
A jeweler who’s been in business for three or four decades is clearly doing something right. On the other hand, an up-and-coming company might not be able to afford you with tons of experience or satisfaction guarantees.
In the end, it’s all about finding a jewelry company that employs people who know what they’re doing and love making people happy. Do a little research about your potential jeweler, and the outcome will likely pay off nicely in the end.
3. Besides Purchasing a Ring, How Can the Jeweler Help Me?
You want to choose a jewelry company that focuses on the entire experience, not just selling rings. Buying is just one part of the process, but when you have a great company in your court, you’ll know you can go to them when you need to have your ring re-sized, cleaned, or upgraded as the years go by.
A great jeweler will offer:
- An in-house gemologist who can explain the properties and particulars of the stones you’re interested in. If you’re restricted by budgetary constraints or seeking a particularly unique style, a gemologist will be able to help you understand which stones will suit your needs the best (and why!)
- A bench jeweler who is available to help you repair or resize your jewelry. An engagement ring should last a lifetime, which means you may need some sizing adjustments or repairs. You should be able to return to the trusted jeweler you worked with when you first purchased your ring to ensure you receive top-quality modifications when the time comes.
- Options for custom-designed pieces. Not every jeweler can offer you the opportunity to take your ideas from your mind to your body. If you’re trying to create something truly original — something no one else will ever have — look for a business that’s built with a team of designers and has top-of-the-line technology available upon request. After all, if you’re seeking a one-of-a-kind ring, you want to have the best resources at your fingertips, so to speak.
4. Can the Jeweler Show You How the 4Cs Incorporate into Your Chosen Ring?
Let’s start with the obvious: if you don’t know what the 4Cs are, you want to look for a jeweler who’s willing to explain the ins and outs of a great gemstone. You’re not supposed to know every detail of every diamond; that’s what the experts are there for. You should, however, find yourself in an environment where you’re comfortable enough to ask any question that comes to mind.
- Ask to see the cut of the stone under a gemological microscope.
- Inquire about full-spectrum diamond lighting so you can understand how the diamond’s color grading came to be.
5. What Types of Policies and Warranties Does the Jeweler Offer?
Fine jewelry deserves a defined plan. Make sure the jeweler is able to deliver your ring within a specified timeframe, and make sure you understand the warranties and return policies.
6. Can the Jeweler Provide Third-Party Diamond Certifications?
Third-party appraisals and certifications will reinforce your jeweler’s statement of your diamond’s quality, carat, and color. The following are a few respected institutions that can prove your diamond’s worth and value:
- Gemological Institute of America (GIA)
- International Gemological Institute (IGI)
- Gemological Science International (GSI)
- American Gem Society (AGS)
Certification from any of these renowned institutions will reinforce your diamond’s value.
Janvier Jewelers has been Delaware’s diamond destination since 1975. If you’re searching for a jeweler that’s founded on the principles of high-quality products and outstanding customer service, you’ve come to the right place! We welcome you to stop by our store inside the Christiana Mall or call 302-366-7448 and put your Q&A prep to the test! Our experienced, friendly team will confidently answer your questions and provide you with the direction you need to choose the perfect ring!